Mrs. Crystal Aguada » FAQs


Q: What is the A-G list?

A:  Minimum academic courses required for admission to CSUs, UCs and some private schools.

  •  A: 2 years History/Social Science (3 years recommended)
  •  B: 4 years of English
  •  C: 3 years of Math - Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II/Trig (4 years recommended)
  •  D: 2 years of Lab Science (3 years recommended)
  •  E: 2 years Foreign Language (3 years recommended)
  •  F: 1 year Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA)
  •  G: 1 year College Prep Elective

Q: How do I begin my college and college major search?

A: Log onto 

Q: What tests are required for students applying to 4-year colleges?

A: The SAT or ACT are usually required but the UCs and CSUs do not require it, while many colleges have a test-optional policy. Check specific college websites for requirements.

Q: How can I get a Letter of Recommendation (LOR)?

A: LOR is sometimes required for scholarships, jobs and colleges. Please contact your counselor to fill out the form.

Q: What is Concurrent Enrollment?

A: High school students in the 10th, 11th or 12th grade, can enroll in CA community college classes to fulfill a high school course requirement or to get a head start on college courses. 

A: For Chabot College info: Concurrent Enrollment

Q: What is the best way to find scholarship money for college?

A: Check the College & Career Center web page on the Arroyo website:

Other sites to check:

Many employers offer scholarships to children of their employees. Check with your parent/guardian's employer to see if scholarships are offered.

Q: What qualifications do you need for most scholarships?

A: Some are based on academics, leadership, services, ethnicity, financial need, etc., and many require short essays. There are scholarships for everyone, including students who are undocumented.

Q: When do I apply for Financial Aid for college? 

A1: ALL 12th graders should apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and the Cal Grant verification between October 1 and March 2 of their senior year to qualify. Visit the FAFSA website  for more information.

A2: California DREAM Act Application(CADAA) for Undocumented/AB540 students:

      DREAM Act website or Immigrants Rising for financial aid information.

Q: How do I explore my career options?

A: Go to the California Colleges website to do a career survey.

Q: What is ROP?

A: Eden Area Regional Occupational Program (EAROP) offers career preparation courses to 11th and 12th graders in the areas of Medical/Dental, Law Enforcement, Culinary, Automotive, Cybersecurity  and more. Most classes are articulated with colleges so students receive college credits. Visit Eden Area ROP.

Q: How old do I have to be to get a job?

A: You can be as young as 14 to get a job, but many companies hire at 16. Check company websites for age requirements.